Monday, May 18, 2009

The Horrors- Primary Colors

Photobucket
Well I never thought I would be writing this, but I have to say the new LP by the English group the Horrors is pretty amazing. Their sound has evolved considerably from their earlier releases. I was curious when their Strange House album came out in 2007, as they name checked interesting influences like The Sonics, Joe Meek and the Birthday Party, yet their own music didn't really sound that special to my ears. I kind of wrote them off as bland Birthday Party copyists; that was then...

This newest release is a vast improvement over their previous efforts. If I were to speak of it in comparative terms, groups like the Chameleons, Neu!, My Bloody Valentine, Interpol and Joy Division come to mind. The album is impeccably produced by Craig Silvey and Geoff Barrows of Portishead fame. The Farfisa has been traded up for vintage synths, the reverberated guitar reminiscent of the Seeds has been swapped for Kevin Shields-esque guitar alchemy. Standout tracks include Three Decades, Scarlet Fields Who can Say and Sea Within A Sea. Check out the clip below:




Impressive. Not the most original sound ever, but I am sure this album will be very popular over the next few months, and deservedly so.

Lieutenant E

No comments:

Post a Comment